Today we accomplished a big task.
We put a sign in our front yard.
That’s right. Our very own sign in the yard. We FINALLY have a sign in our yard.
It has been 45 days since we decided to move and during the past 9 weeks we have been preparing. We have done a ton of work to spruce up our home and finish all our I-thought-this-would-be-done-by-now projects. It took 2 week longer than we expected but we finally have the house <almost> ready to be listed.
My husband and I felt we could make our house more valuable to others with some simple upgrades and “sale prep”. Improvements include:
- Fresh and updated paint outside with new shutters
- Replace 5 exterior lights
- Pressure wash the fence, driveway, concrete walks and patios
- Glaze windows
- Replace picture window in the kitchen
- Revitalize landscaping – mulch, pine straw, flowers, hanging baskets, paint basketball goal, clean yard up
- Paint all walls and trims inside our home and garage
- Paint interior ceilings
- Replace door hardware downstairs
- Replace cabinet hardware upstairs (downstairs was already done)
- Replace 11 interior light fixtures and 3 ceiling fans
- Review each room for broken or malfunctioning switch plates, outlet covers, hardware, wall scuffs, replace all brass with oil rubbed bronze (including window hardware) and patch nail holes.
All in all, it has been a long 9 weeks. Not everyone wants to do the above items to sell a house. “Why are you doing all this work? Just let the new owner do it” many told us. However, with these improvements we will receive 15% to 20% additional PROFIT. It was frustrating, but hey, I will recover after I cash that check!
Another big question we receive is “Don’t you wish you had done all these improvements before you decided to move?” Well, in all honesty “NO, I don’t”. I have been erasing my personality from my home for 9 weeks. I am no longer making improvements based on what I like. This makes the renovation process much easier and faster, but it also takes away some of the things I love. My home feels more like a house with every box I pack and every day that goes by.
Today was an emotional day for me. My house is on the market in Georgia and my home is waiting for me in Texas.